Religion blessed the settlement in 1828. The first school was started in 1830, and the railroad came in 1861.
With shipping faculties, the settlement soon began to outbid its neighboring towns for settlers. By 1870, the population had grown to 452, and in 1880, to 674.
In 1890, it was 912, and in 1895, it was 700. Cambridge Springs led in the development of the important cheese industry in 1867. But in 1884, the unpredicted eve of it started a real boom.
It was the first feeble development of the Grey Mineral Springs. This has philosophical interest for those who sometimes feel that nothing more important can happen to their town or themselves. The philosophical will note that Doctor Grey first discovered his spring in 1860. It seemed unimportant to him and others then. A long 24 years passed, during which the little town struggled for dollars and renewal of the lease on life before the same man realized his acres of diamonds.