
The Firefighters Historical Museum, Inc. is located at the corner of West 5th and Chestnut Streets in downtown Erie. The museum was founded in 1969, Incorporated in 1971 and opened to the public on May 3, l976. It is housed in a 2 story, 2bay fire station which was the former #4 fire station of the Erie Fire Department. (It was built in 1903 and was closed in 1974 as an active firehouse.)
The museum is a non-profit, tax exempt organization that is dedicated to providing the general public with the opportunity to learn about the history of firefighting and, in preserving fire memorabilia, fire equipment, and the fire apparatus of by-gone days. Both floors are full of firefighting memorabilia. The museum is dedicated to all Firefighters who have risked their lives to battle flames to save the lives and property of their fellow man.