
Drake's Log Cabin is a one-room log cabin that shows how early settlers lived. Items from the era are on display.
Drake's Log Cabin was believed to have been built in 1816 and is the only remnant of the original permanent settlement, which eventually grew into the Borough of Apollo. The earliest deed to the property, dated 1862, shows that Mrs. Sarah Drake owned the cabin. Drake's Log Cabin is the oldest building in Apollo Borough and one of the oldest in Armstrong County. In March of 1983, the cabin was added to the National Registry of Historical Places.
In 1970, the cabin was purchased from Mrs. Samuel Wilson for $1000, and the Apollo Area Historical Society was born.
Some of the later additions to the cabin were removed, and deteriorating logs were replaced under Howard Fulton's direction. Roof repairs were made, and finally, the cabin was restored to its original condition. Drake's Log Cabin was officially dedicated and opened to the public on September 19, 1971.