By 1885, the Penn Avenue way into the Cemetery was considered the main entrance, with Butler Street for exit only, and a monumental gateway and other entrance features were needed. Henry Moser, designer of the 1970 Office Building, submitted a design that was not accepted, and a competition was announced for the architectural work. The eleborate wrought-iron grillwork was excluded from the competition, and who designed it is unknown. In all, 16 designs by 14 offices were submitted, including ones by local architects William Kaufmann, Edward M. Butz, J.F. Mackenzie, Frenderick C. Sauer, Richard Nevin & Company, and Henry Moser.