Pennsylvania Canal

Although Leechburg has been known for the last 100 years primarily as a Western Pennsylvania "steel and coal" town, the community actually owes its start to the Pennsylvania Canal.

Had it not been for the canal, a gigantic public project built by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania linking the Harrisburg area with Pittsburgh, the factors that later combined to develop Leechburg as a small industrial center may never have evolved. Several other towns along the Kiskiminetas and Allegheny Rivers, including Blairsville, Saltsburg, and Freeport, trace their beginnings to the canal.

Leechburg, a small, isolated village until the building of the canal in the 1820s and 30s, became an important port on the canal. A significant facility—a large dam—was built here, which slack-watered the Kiski River seven miles upstream to Apollo. Later, several canal shipping companies operated out of Leechburg, and important boatyards and docks were located here.

The canal operated for only 23 years, from 1834 to 1857, just prior to the Civil War. The system was purchased by the Pennsylvania Railroad, which converted much of the canal right-of-ways into rail lines. The dam was located at the foot of First Street, up the river from the present site of the Leechburg Volunteer Fire Dept. (formerly Pete's Place).

A boat basin and moorings were located along River Avenue (formerly part of Canal Street) in the area now bounded approximately by Second Street, Bridge Avenue, Basin Avenue, and River Avenue. The area today extends from Bonello's Market to the VFW Home.

canal boat

Return to