Leechburg

Little is known about Leechburg's early history before the 1830s. Indians and early settlers were attracted here by a bountiful, ever-flowing spring in the "Hollow" near the old Leechburg Skating Rink (now the Baker Building of Leechburg Area High School).

In 1783, John Vanderen owned part of what is now downtown Leechburg. Ten years later, in 1793, White Mattock, a Delaware Indian chief, purchased another part (some 192 acres) from James Walker, who had initially been surveyed it. Many existing deeds still list White Mattock as the original owner.

By 1822, the hamlet was named "White Plains." Most of the forest land had been felled, and some of the area was productive farmland. Eight families were reported as being farmers here.

Leechburg is located near the southern tip of Armstrong County in Western Pennsylvania. The closest major Pennsylvania city is Pittsburgh, located approximately 28 miles to the southwest in Allegheny County.

The town is 1.6 miles across and bordered on the east, south, and west by the Kiskiminetas River, a tributary of the Allegheny River. Gilpin Township, West Leechburg, Hyde Park, and Parks Township are close to Leechburg.

Second street looking North, Leechburg, PA

Museums

Leechburg Area Museum and Historical Society is located in the David Leech house -- the oldest house in Leechburg.