Freeport

Freeport was derived from Depreciation Lands—lands designated as payment to Revolutionary War Soldiers for their services. Two tracts named Union and Friendship were conveyed to William and David Todd. In 1796, the Todds laid out the town, which consisted of Water St. along the river and Market St. 135 lots, which were designated in what was known as Todd's Town.

By 1805, eight log cabins were located on Water St. Todd's Island was located in the Allegheny River. The water in the river divided itself around the island, and water from Buffalo Creek emptied into the river and formed an eddy in front of the town. This made an ideal location to tie up rivercraft. David Todd declared, "No dockage fee will ever be charged to tie up a boat, raft, or barge." Thus, it became a free port, and the town became known as Freeport. Freeport Borough was incorporated in 1833.

Freeport Borough

Museums

Consistent with its mission statement, the Freeport Area Historical Society purchased the Valley Mills and adjacent property in 1998. The purpose is to rehabilitate the building into an operational mill, creating an atmosphere similar to that of the mid-1900s.