The town was built on a square like European villages. In New Harmony, there was also a town square, but at Economy, the Harmonists developed a town plan with main streets rather than a center square.
On the side extension of the church is a shell doorway. This is another Harmonist symbol. Across the diamond in the red-painted Harmonist building is an antique shop. It was the Harmonist community store. It has a wine cellar exactly like we saw below. Legend has it that there was a tunnel underground to connect these two wine cellars, but so far, there is no definite proof.
Next door in the gray building is where Father Rapp lived. His house burned, so only the foundation remains. Next to this building is another Harmonist dwelling where Frederick Reichert Rapp lived.
The gold accumulated by the Society was stored in a vault in the basement below. The doorway is interesting with a "Philadelphia design." The large white building (Now Sapienza's) was the Harmonist Inn and tavern.
A heavy metal hitching post for an individual's horse is on the sidewalk. Down Mercer Street is a white building that is now Harmony's post office and borough building. It was originally used as a schoolhouse between 1882 and 1956.
