Somerset
In 1795, Somerset County was formed from Bedford. The town was officially chosen as a proper place for the seat of justice in the county, and the first term of court was held with Alexander Addison presiding.
The first county building was considered a temporary jail of logs, which stood at the southwest corner of Center Avenue and Patriot Street. With local government forming, we soon needed a courthouse. Three courthouses have been built in the location of the current one.
The first courthouse was built of stone and completed in 1801. For about 50 years, it was good enough, but in 1853, there was a need for something a little larger. The second courthouse was two stories tall, with a cupola, and made of brick.
The cupola peaked at 112 feet above the ground and was visible throughout the entire area. Again, only about 50 years later, the population increase demanded a larger building, and in 1907, our current courthouse was being occupied. Parts of the second courthouse can still be seen at the entrance of Ankney Square cemetery or Patriot Street. The two large columns were part of the original columns of the second courthouse.
